ADOTs Top 3 Insurance Questions


Arizona requires that every motor vehicle operated on roadways be covered by one of the statutory forms of financial responsibility, more commonly called liability insurance, through a company that is authorized to do business in Arizona. This requirement also includes golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds.

Minimum levels of financial responsibility are

  • $15,000 bodily-injury liability for one person and $30,000 for two or more people.
  • $10,000 property-damage liability.

Law-enforcement officers will ask you for proof of insurance at the time of traffic stops or accidents. Insurance companies notify MVD of all policy cancellations, nonrenewals and new policies. If your insurance company sends MVD a notice that your policy is no longer active, we will send you an inquiry notice to verify insurance status.

Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration and/or driver license. To reinstate these privileges, fees and future proof of financial responsibility must be filed with MVD. The future proof requirement is most commonly an SR22 form from an insurance company. This can be expensive to the vehicle owner, especially since the law requires the owner to carry the SR22 for three years from the date of suspension.

How long do I have to get insurance after I register my car?

Insurance is required immediately, before driving the vehicle.

There's no need to go without car insurance.  Get car insurance in Arizona for the lowest price and get it fast and easy with Insurance Professionals of Arizona.  IPA is an insurance broker with a history of better coverage and lower rates for our clients.  We shop the insurance market and find you the best coverage for the lowest premium for car, home, boat, life, health and other forms of insurance.  Please call us at 480-981-6338 or visit us online for a free quote.  We look forward to servicing all your insurance needs.